Lucky for us, the fine folks running the Windsor Eats blog have shared a list of benefits that urban chickens bring to a community by way of documenting the efforts of Steve Green of Windsor Essex Community Supported Agriculture to legalize chickens in Windsor, Ontario (just across the bridge from Detroit, Michigan).
Some of the key benefits to our community:This list is a great start... are there any others you'd add to the list?
- Chickens can provide healthy, pesticide free eggs
- Reduction of weekly food bills
- Reduction of green house gases through reduction in food transport costs
- Chickens consume kitchen waste, reducing municipal waste problems
- Chickens produce great compost for the garden
- Chickens are a great way to teach kids about food sources, hands-on
- Chickens make great pets, for big kids and little kids alike
- The path to global environmental sustainability begins with local initiatives and urban chickens are one of those initiatives
- Chickens kept in back yards are generally living in much more humane conditions than their battery cage industrial chicken counterparts
Photo credit: Windsoreats.com