Great to see KT over at the urbanchickens.org site beat me to the punch on creating a Google map to display where in the world folks are keeping urban chickens.
(I got to know KT via email as she was doing a research paper for her graduate program, and I really like the pile of resources she's gathering around the urbanchickens.org domain.)
Got urban chickens of your own and want to add them to the map? Here's how:
- You'll need a Google account to start (easy to acquire one from this very blog page, look in the upper right corner of the browser)
- Follow this link to display the map in your browser
- In the left column, click the "EDIT" button next to the "urban chicken keepers" map name
- A cluster of buttons should appear next to the zoom in/out slider in the upper left corner of the map. Click the one that looks like a generously-scooped ice cream cone. This is your marker.
- Click where you live on the map and a popup box will appear to enter your details (quantity and type of hens, a link to your blog even)
- When done (IMPORTANT!) click the "DONE" button over in the left column (where you originally found the "EDIT" button). This'll exit you to the regular map display.
- Sit back, smile and admire how many other urban chicken farmers there are around you!